The Orcina licence monitor (OLM) is a service that monitors the current number of OrcaFlex and OrcaWave licences claimed on a network in real time. Other programs that use the OrcaFlex programming interface (OrcFxAPI) such as Distributed OrcaFlex and the OrcaFlex spreadsheet are also monitored. You can obtain information on each licence claim that includes:
- Network information: the computer name, network address and the user name.
- Licence information: the licence provider (dongle or FlexNet, local or network), and the time the licence was claimed.
- Program information: which modules are being used, the version, and the location of the program which has claimed the licence (usually this is OrcaFlex64.exe but it can be Excel.exe for the OrcaFlex spreadsheet for example).
OLM requires OrcaFlex version 8.7a or later.
The latest version of OLM is 2.0a which includes the following changes over the previous version (1.4d):
- Support for FlexNet licences added.
- Support for OrcaWave added.
Downloading and installing OLM
The latest version of OLM (2.0a) can be installed by following these steps:
- Download OLM Manual.pdf which contains documentation for OLM including an installation guide.
- Download the following zip file: OrcinaLicenceMonitor.zip
- Unzip the contents, and run the extracted file OrcinaLicenceMonitor.msi.
The Orcina licence monitor relies on the client program (OrcaFlex, OrcaWave, etc.) reporting to the OLM server when it is using a licence. For this to happen, the client program needs to know where the OLM server is and looks for this information in the Windows registry. When installing the OLM viewer component on a user’s computer you will be prompted for the OLM server address and the installer will set the registry with this value. If the OLM viewer is not being installed on the computer running the client program, then the registry needs to be set manually. The registry key and setting are:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Orcina OLMServerAddress REG_SZ
The data is the IP address or hostname of the OLM server. The client program displays the OLM server address it finds in the About information under the main Help menu.
The dongle supplier (Sentinel) provide their own licence monitor, AKS monitor, that reports information on network licence usage only. However, this monitor obtains the information directly from the licence manager and so is a useful tool in locating OrcaFlex installations that are not reporting their usage to the OLM server correctly. The AKS monitor can be downloaded from our licence support page.